Studies show that over 50% of all women suffer from low back pain during pregnancy, with the sacro-iliac joints being the most affected area.
- Back ache, pubic symphysis discomfort, sciatica, headaches, morning sickness, and many other aches and pains associated with pregnancy respond favourably to chiropractic care.
- Chiropractic care has been shown to significantly reduce time in labour for women who receive care during their pregnancy (First time mums averaged a 24% shorter and experienced mums, a 39% shorter labour time).
- Research shows that correct alignment of the pelvis and spine contribute to a more straight forward labour with less pain and trauma for mother and baby.
At North Shore Family Chiropractors we want to help you to have the healthiest pregnancy possible so that you can truly enjoy and appreciate the miracle of giving birth. Chiropractic care is not only a safe and natural way to help with symptoms associated with pregnancy it also provides greater health potential for both mother and baby.
During pregnancy it is essential to establish pelvic alignment and balance. If your pelvis is misaligned it causes tightening and torsion of muscles and ligaments. These tense muscles and ligaments can lead to a reduction in the developing babies space in which it can move. This is termed intrauterine constraint. These changes are also causes of pain and discomfort for the expecting mother.
Pregnancy Chiropractor Webster Technique
At North Shore Family Chiropractors we specialise in The Webster Technique which is defined as “a specific chiropractic analysis and adjustment that reduces interference with the nervous system and facilitates biomechanical balance in pelvic structures, muscles and ligaments”. This technique has been shown to reduce effects of intrauterine constraint, allowing the baby to get into the best possible position for birth.
In summary, the benefits to mum are:
- Prepares the pelvis for an easier pregnancy and birth by creating a state of balance in pelvic bony structures, muscle and ligaments
- Removes tension in the ligaments that support the uterus
- Reduces interference with the mother’s vital nervous system
- Allows for a safer, easier birth for the mother, decreasing the potential need for medical intervention.
Benefits to infant are:
- Removes interference with the mother’s nervous system allowing for better baby development.
- Allows the baby room to develop without restrictions to its forming cranium, spine and other skeletal structures
- Allows the baby room to move into the best possible position for birth reducing the risk of birth trauma.